Mad Hatter News
Mad Hatters Day - October 6th
Celebrate all things silly, incomprehensible and crazy in the world today, which includes a good oxymoron were 'clear confusion' is an advantage, the impossible number zero refuses to agree with nothing and a comedian who goes too far, sometimes doesn't go far away enough…
Hatter is a character created by Lewis Carroll in the all time best selling book of ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’. The original picture of the Hatter was brought to life by the wonderful creative artistry of John Tenniel who depicts him wearing a hat, still bearing its price tag which proclaims “In This Style 10/6”. The 10/6 was in fact the shorter way of writing ‘Ten Shillings and Sixpence’, which was the cost of the Top Hat, in today’s money that would equate to over £830.00’s. In England 10/6 would be written as 10th June but because everything is upside down we automatically default to 6th October hence Mad Hatter’s Day is ‘6th OCTOBER’.
In 1986 some computer-folk in Boulder, CO, celebrated a general day of silliness, inspired by the drawings of the Mad Hatter by John Tenniel in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. It was announced that year on computer networks, becoming more popular the more it caught on.
In 1988 Mad Hatter’s Day received its first national press coverage.
Since 2010 the Mad Hatter Tea Brand has been proud to be the main International sponsor of ‘Mad Hatter’s Day’
Things to do and say on October 6th
1. Give information that doesn’t make sense - Turn on the news, but remember to switch off the volume
2. Wear odd socks for the day - However if you normally wear odd socks, wear matching socks and fool everybody
3. Become a "sports fanatic" - Turn on television and shout at the sports people on screen
4. Buy a different brand of tea, and invite people to try the new brand - You could make 2/3 different cups of tea and ask your friends to say which they think is best
5. I’ve heard there are people, who do not love their fellow man,- I hate people like that!
6. Don't worry if 'Plan A' fails - There are 25 more letters in the alphabet
7. Don't worry if you fall, I will always be there to catch you - with love The Floor
8. I know the voices in my head aren't real - But sometimes their ideas are absolutely awesome
9. You can only be young once - But you can always be immature (Dave Barry)
10. A balanced diet to me - Is a cup cake in each hand
If you’ve got an idea of a fun Mad Hatter thing to do on Mad Hatter’s day email us. If we publish it, we send you tea…